Re: Oracle tech support experience?

From: Mark McNulty <mmcnul_at_wall.ny.jpmorgan.com>
Date: 1996/10/29

In article <1996Oct29.163407.20029_at_rossinc.com>, Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com> wrote:
>In article <54tf1c$5d9_at_nntp1.u.washington.edu> philt_at_u.washington.edu (Le-Chin Eugene Liu) writes:
>>Can nettters in the Oracle world share your experience on their
>>tech support please?
>>
>>I have a tough time to get through their support line and could
>>not find their support web page to log questions. It usually
>>takes them one full day to get back to me with just the TAR number
>>and that was it. Have their tech support been always like that?
>>I can't believe the internet newsgroup does a much better job than
>>what we paid for Oracle support.
>
>I seem to recall these complaints at least as far back as the 1989
>time frame (except the web page, of course). That would be "always"
>in computer years. It varies depending on your expectations, time of
>day of call, type of problem, level of support and your facility with
>dealing with their help system. Compared to some in the industry,
[snip]

It also seems that the support outside the US is better than inside. I haven't called Oracle since last year, but it took a little over a day for a callback, but once I got to speak to someone the support was fine.

I also think the Web support will get better. And I am not surprised that the Internet newsgroup offers better support- many people here have been programming for years, whereas tech.support is often an entry-level job, with a VERY FAST learning curve, so they often get grabbed away from support once they know what is going on.

Mr. Senior Manager often doesn't equate good support with sales, so they often pull good people or put under-trained people into support (this is high-tech in general, and not just Oracle). I think that companies are now learning that good support is a competitive advantage.

Now, when you have alot of marketshare, competitive advantage doesn't have as much impact. ;-)

Good luck,
Mark McNulty
JYACC Consultant
mmcnul_at_jyacc.com

Note- these views are my own and not those of JP Morgan or JYACC. Received on Tue Oct 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message