Oracle or Informix? (Insights and experiences wanted - NO RELIGIOUS WARS OR FLAMES PLEASE!!!)

From: David L Jarvis <djarvis_at_relay.cablexpress.com>
Date: 1996/10/28

Greetings Oracle and Informix users, developers, and administrators.

I have been charged with comparing these two companies and their products and making a decision on which one my employer should choose. I am asking for information from these 2 groups to aid in my research. What I am looking for are others who have had to make the same decision: which one you went with and WHY. What I am NOT looking for are religious wars (this one's better because I say so) and flames. I'd like to have opinions that have some basis in fact.

What I am interested in is simply basic OLTP functionality, including the stability and scalability of the server, as well as performance of course, and resource consumption. Also we will be doing web stuff, of course, so this piece of the puzzle is important too. I am also interested in what platform you are using (hardware and O/S, configuration, etc.). Last but not least :-) I am open to being pointed to any other resources that may help (like, Hey we've had this discussion a million times and here's some archive of the whole thing, or better yet here's some independent sources of comparatives).

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to take the time to share their insight and experiences with me. This is a most difficult position to be in, and finding straight information without the marketing tarnish is not very easy!

Regards
/dlj

--
David L Jarvis
Director of Technology - CABLExpress Corporation