Simple Newbie Question - table creation

From: Gordon E. Hooker <gordonh_at_thehub.com.au>
Date: 1996/10/27

Jim McRee <mcree_at_orionsci.com> wrote:

Jim,

There is a couple of things you need to do to give access to other users, the first concept you need to realise is the idea of a users schema. Each user of Oracle has their own schema in your case if your Oracle user name is jim then your schema is also jim, so when you create a table say customer for another user to access that table you have to grant access to the user say fred.

Now for fred to see your table fred would have to type 'desc jim.customer'.

If fred did not want to use the user name prefix 'jim.customer', fred could create a synonym called customer based on the table jim.customer.

I know this sounds a bit confusing, but the use of the schema concept makes the Oracle database very flexible as far as naming objects go.

Hope this helps...

Gordon