Re: SQL-92 Compliant

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/10/25

In article <32704E2E.494F_at_earthlink.net>, Les Gainous <lesgainous_at_earthlink.net> writes
>Being new to Oracle, I need to know something:
>
>How compliant is Oracle7 with the SQL-92 standards? Can I get a white
>paper on this from Oracle or somewhere? I don't think 7.1 supports the
>"join" and "left/right outer join" keywords (I have a lot of code that
>using this in a MS SQL Server environment). Does 7.3 support this
>syntax? What other syntax is (is not) supported?
>
>Thanks in advance!

Oracle is 'Entry-level' compliant with SQL-92. As far as I know, none of the major database vendors has yet reached the next level of compliance ('Intermediate'),

There is an appendix in the "Oracle 7 Server SQL Reference Manual" which describes Oracle's standards compliance.

As far the keywords you mention, they are not supported,although the functionality is.

"table1 JOIN table2 ON" is just an alternative (and IMO less readable) way of saying "table1, table2 where ". A lot of the changes in SQL-92 seem to be making the language more obscure and taking it further away from the original concept of 'Structured English Query Language'

To specify an outer join add '(+)' to the columns in the where clause.

select ename,dept.dname
from emp, dept
where emp.dname(+) = dept.dname

will give you empleoyees and all departments even if there are no employees. This is a LEFT OUTER JOIN (I think)

--
Jim Smith