Re: Oracle database configuration options

From: Ronan Miles <milesr_at_entcf2.agw.bt.co.uk>
Date: 1996/10/25

woowoo wrote:

> I am using char(##) fields in my tables. When data is entered,
> oracle pads the fields with spaces.
> Is there any oracle configuration setting to suppress
> this behavior?
Oracle space fills char to length, it has the varchar2 datatype for those who want the trailing spaces suppressed. There is not option to make char behave as varchar2. I am afraid you will have to restructure your tables.

Be warned, char use is usually there to support 3GL programmers who like to have space filled strings. Received on Fri Oct 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message