this table won't clean itself

From: Larry Dalton <ldalton_at_inconnect.com>
Date: 1996/10/24

I have a table that has been created like this:

(Oracle 6)

create table events(id number,

                event_number number,
                event_cnt number,
                event_tm date,
                event_str long)
        storage (initial 2m next 1m)
             PCTFREE 1;

grant all on events to PUBLIC;
create index E2 on events(id)
        storage (initial 2m next 1m)
             PCTFREE 1;

This table contains from 100,000 to 500,000 records. I holds up to two days worth of event informtion... nightly, it deletes the previous days messages. When the table is fresh, this nightly clean up is fast
(1-2 hours), however, over time, this cleanup takes longer and longer,
until finally, this table crashes the machine because it runs out of extents and won't add any more records (even though there is plenty of room for more records). I was hoping to find a solution to this problem without droping and re-creating the table or index. Does anyone have any ideas? Received on Thu Oct 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message