Re: A question of principle

From: Randy Dewoolfson <randyd_at_cais3.cais.com>
Date: 1996/10/24

how about this:
stick to your guns.
lead a class on NVL usage.
keep smiling.

Randy :)

Bard (bwskiles_at_adpc.purdue.edu) wrote:
: I am a DBA. We have several developers working with our setup of Oracle
: Data Warehouses. The source of our data is a mainframe.

: The question of principle has to do with transferring mainframe practices
: to the Oracle warehouse. Primarily, the use of "blanks" or "spaces" in
: place of NULLs. I am, on principle, opposed to using blanks where nulls
: ought to be. I find the blanks to be misleading and a misuse of Oracle. I
: also believe it sets a poor precedence for future Oracle applications.

: I would appreciate any and all opinions. Am I being too uncompromising?
: (If it's of any use, we are using the star-join modelling technique as
: opposed to normalization.) Does anyone else out there allow only blanks
: to be entered into a field? If so, how is it working? Anyone out there
: replace blanks with nulls where there were already blanks? If so, did you
: have trouble teaching the users the concept of null values?

: Thanks to any and all who have input on this!

: --brad skiles

--
    ..uu.           Randy DeWoolfson          ----------------------
  .?$" '?i     .                              I  randyd_at_cais.com   I