Re: PO7 tries to dialup on database startup

From: Keith Majkut <kmajkut_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1996/10/24

In article <01bbbe7d$4f015f20$1e74f482_at_win95.swipnet.se>, Tomas Gardson <tomas.gardson_at_mbox200.swipnet.se> wrote:

>Chris Rickard <crickard_at_usa.net> wrote in article
><32679938.37DC_at_usa.net>...
>> From: Self <Single-user mode>
>> To: web-sup_at_us.oracle.com
>> Subject: PO7 Installation question
>> Send reply to: crickard_at_usa.net
>> Date sent: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 09:55:15
>>
>> I am trying to get the PO7 for Win95 installed on a stand-alone PC.
>> For the most part, the installation went fine (although the web
>> pages don't necessarily match what I download from the web site.) I
>> am running into two problems.
>>
>> 1. Whenever I start or stop the database, the dialup dialog pops
>> up. It is as if Oracle is trying to establish a PPP connection. If
>> I press cancel, the dialog goes away but seems to arbitrarily
>> reappear agin later. I really want to disable this feature as I
>> don't anticipate connecting to a remote database. I have not done
>> anything using SQL*Net - the only SIDs in the TNSNAMES.ORA file are
>> the ones that came with the product.
>>
>Try this: Start the Oracle installer . On the window of instlled product,
>go to the
>sql*net section. Remove the installed TCP-adaptors. This will prevent PO7
>from
>using the TCP/IP dial upp service.
This will work, but if you want to also use TCPIP, you'll have to look at your WINSOCK Dlls. Most likely an app (probably a browser) has installed a WINSOCK which starts dial-up when the DLL is loaded. PO7 is only loading the SQL*Net DLLs (if present) which load the TCPIP DLLs(if present), but it doesn't invoke anything.