Re: Another question Regarding ROWID being Safe

From: <stu_at_sierra.net_at_>
Date: 1996/10/23

In <326c2aec.94941168_at_dcsun4>, tkyte_at_us.oracle.com (Thomas J. Kyte) writes:
>On 22 Oct 1996 02:33:11 GMT, srini_v_at_ix.netcom.com(Srinivasa Rao Vaikuntam)
>wrote: <much deleted>
>
>No, a rowid will not change for a row ever.
>
>A rowid is assigned when a row is inserted. That rowid will remain with that
>row forever while that row exists in the database. When that row is deleted,
>that rowid may be reused by some other, newly inserted record.
>
>Thomas Kyte
>Oracle Government

I must disagree with your advice. The rowid is there is to provide a unique key. I don't recommend that it be used for anything else. It will change if the row moves for any reason. You should never depend on the physical attributes of the database. Also, some gateways may implement ROWID using some means other than physical location. That is valid as long as the ROWID is unique.

Stuart Feigin
Oracle for AS/400 Development Received on Wed Oct 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message