Tracking Return Codes from script execution

From: Govindhan Padmavijayam <govind_at_smtskit.attmail.com>
Date: 1996/10/23

Hi all,

I would like to know if there's a way to check for return codes from a Function execution.

 I would like to populate values into a table, by passing parameters thro' a function. If, for example, the insert fails ( owning to a Primary Key constraint ), how would I be able to track the sqlcode 0001 from, say, a shell program ? Can this tracked thro' the $? in Unix ? The problem I have is that if the Primary Key constraint error is encountered, control does not pass back to the code. Is there a way to get around this problem.

I am using Unix shell and sqlplus.

DB version : 7.1.6.2.0
Hardware : NCR 34xx. ( SVR 4.3, MP RAS 3.0 ).

Thanks for any input,

Govindhan Padmavijayam. Received on Wed Oct 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message