Re: How to show progress of stored procedure executing ?

From: Nigel Peach <npeach_at_uk.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/10/23

ogsts_at_cclu.lv (Karlis Ogsts) wrote:

>Hi !

>I'm working on project in Oracle and have following problem:
>From Oracle Forms i call some complicated stored procedure.
>It executes slowly and very long. But i want to see how mutch is
>already done in any moment of time....For example i would like to see
>message:

> "342 of 3845 record processed"

Here's a thought, you could instrument your stored procedure to dispatch status messages through a pipe which could then be picked up by the form. The issue here is that the execution of the stored procedure by the client will block until it completes and so prevent your forms app form picking up the status messages from the pipe. A way round this would be to submit the execution of the stored procedure to the jobqueue in 7.2+ using the DBMS_JOB package.

This would enable the procedure to execute in the background whilst the form could pick up the status messages off the pipe. A couple of issues still exist.

  1. Your job might not run instantly, it depends on the setup of the queue processor(s) and the number of jobs in the queues. This has consequences for the state processing in your form.
  2. Your forms app should negotiate a return pipe name with the stored procedure to ensure that it doesn't pick up anyone elses subsmission.

>How can i do this?
>Maybe You can give me some advice?
> Thanks.

Hope this helps

-n

Nigel Peach Email:npeach_at_uk.oracle.com Corporate Presales

Oracle Parkway
Thams Valley park
Reading

Berkshire RG6 1RA ( +44 (0)118 924 0000). Direct: +44 (0)118 924 3207

Disclaimer: My opinions ...... Received on Wed Oct 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message