How to send e-mail from Oracle

From: Mariah Abdul Rahim <mariah_at_ms.mimos.my>
Date: 1996/10/23

Hello,

Suppose I have this scenario. A warehouse stores items belonging to clients. The client will send e-mail to the warehouse manager whenever there are orders from customer for a particular item. The warehouse manager will run SQL*Loader to process the order causing an Oracle trigger to fire which in turn updates the database. After awhile the items in the warehouse will be depleted. This is when the warehouse manager has to send e-mail to the clients telling them about the status of their storage. I want the e-mail to be send automatically during the update of the database, i.e while running the trigger. That means I have to do some coding to call a host function from within the trigger. How do I do that? I'm running Oracle 7.2 on Solaris 2.3. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

--
--mariah--