Re: Hardware Platform comparisons

From: Charles Reitzel <creitzel_at_tiac.net>
Date: 1996/10/22

Neal Gran wrote:
> I have to recomend a server platform to run an
> Oracle database ...
> I can recomend an NT server on a high end
> PC (200Mhz,128Mg Ram), or a low end HP9000 UNIX RISC
> server.

If you run PC/NT I can make a useful suggestion: get an Adaptec 2940UW Fast/Wide SCSI-2 controller and a bunch of Seagate 4GB, 8ms, 7200rpm disk drives. I have Oracle 7.2 running on a system like this and it runs real nice. I can scan 2.18 million records in about 72 seconds.

We are trying to move the database to UnixWare on a much nicer Compaq. But it is *20 times slower*!!! I have found, by using monitor io, that bot systems are using the same read batch size, but the UnixWare server will only do 6 reads/sec, while the NT is doing 119 reads/sec. We have not been able to pin down the problem. Until we do, we are using the NT box.

Regards,
Charlie Reitzel
creitzel_at_tiac.net Received on Tue Oct 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message