Re: Manipulate Control Files

From: Jared Hecker <jared_at_planet.net>
Date: 1996/10/22

If you just want to read it, and you are on a Unix system, man the 'strings' command.

Regards,
jh

Eugene Freydenzon (efreydenzon_at_corpinfo.com) wrote:
: Dave Mausner wrote:
: >
: > In article <326a7b02.4441140_at_news.visi.com>,
: > choang_at_visi.com (Carl Hoang) wrote:
: > >Is there a way to manipulate control files? I've heard that it can be
: > >converted to ASCII file for chaning and convert back to binary. Is
: > >this possible and where can I find this info? TIA.
: >
: > yes, it is in the sql reference. look for ALTER SYSTEM DUMP CONTROLFILE TO
: > TRACE. ^^^^^^^^^^^
: >
: > --
: > Dave Mausner, Consulting Manager, Braun Technology Group, Chicago.
: I could not find any reference for this command in "Oracle 7 Server Sql
: Reference" pages 4-71 to 4-82 (ALTER SYSTEM). Futhermore, I have never
: heard about this command.
: I would suggest to use command :
: alter database backup controlfile to trace
: If dump destinatination is deafault, it will create an ASCII file in
: $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log trace file which can be recognized by process #
: (in UNIX) or simpler - by creation date.
: Hope it helps,
: Eugene.
: --
: ********************************************************
: * Everything above is only my opinion *
: ********************************************************
: * *
: * If you see a lion in a cage and sign says "elephant" *
: * , *
: * DO not belive your eyes ! *
: * (Kozma Prutkov. (informal translation)) *
: * *

--
Jared Hecker              |  ** HWA, Inc. **   Oracle and Sybase
jared_at_hwai.com            |    database architecture and administration