Re: How do I set up Access/Windows to 'access' Oracle db on Netware

From: Wayne Pinnow <wpinnow_at_primenet.com>
Date: 1996/10/22

mcarmack_at_freenet.columbus.oh.us (Michael Carmack) wrote:

>Step 1: Set up SQL*Net on the server. This is the network layer that should
>have come with your Oracle software, and documentation on how to install it
>should be included with your original shipment. (It varies from platform to
>platform, obviously.)
>
>Step 2: Set up SQL*Net on Windows. This is the client end of the SQL*Net
>communications software and is likely on a CD-ROM titled "Oracle Products
>for Windows". Again there is separate documentation for this, but it's
>actually very simple to install using the setup program.
>
>Step 3: Run Network Manager to describe your network to SQL*Net. This
>software tool is also on the Oracle Products for Windows CD. This is
>where you define the location(s) of your database(s).
>
>Step 4: Start a listener on the server. This is platform dependent,
>check your Oracle server documentation. But it simply involves entering
>the Listener Control Utility and entering a simple start command.
>
>Step 5: Test the SQL*Net setup. The Windows CD has a utility that
>lets you "ping" a database from the client machine.
>
>Step 6: Access cannot use Oracle directly (stupid, but true) so you need
>to download an ODBC driver for Oracle. There's one on Oracle's web page,
>it's a 6MB self-extracting zip file. Download it, extract it, then run
>the install program. Then run ODBC Administrator to define your ODBC
>connection.
>
>If everything went well, Access should now be able to reach Oracle through
>ODBC.
>--
>"In sports, it's not who wins or | Mike Carmack
> loses; it's how drunk you get." | Vulcan Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
> - Homer Simpson | mcarmack_at_freenet.columbus.oh.us

Make sure that all of your Oracle tables have indexes assigned immediately, otherwise Access (or most other programs using ODBC) will not be able to edit or add data with attached tables (via ODBC)...the clue here is to open the attached table up, and look under record on the menu...if the "Allow Editting" is grayed out, probably means there is no index...get an index assigned, then re-attach the table, and all should be well.

  Wayne Pinnow
  Database Programming and Consulting
  Mesa-AZ

wpinnow_at_primenet.com Received on Tue Oct 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message