Re: -> User-Friendly SQL Editor? Where? <-

From: Doug Smith <dsmith_at_gulfaero.com>
Date: 1996/10/22

In article <54gnm3$pu2_at_nadine.teleport.com> jmiles_at_technosolutions.com (Jim Miles) writes:
>From: jmiles_at_technosolutions.com (Jim Miles)
>Subject: Re: -> User-Friendly SQL Editor? Where? <-
>Date: 21 Oct 1996 20:50:11 GMT

>Have you read the latest Oracle Integrator (Sept/Oct '96) ?
>It has a product review of SQL Navigator.

>"I'm now convinced that SQL Navigator is the best PL/SQL programming
>tool currently available", Tom Cox, Oracle Integrator.

>Check it out yourself ...

>* SQL editor with color syntax hilighting and printing.
>* SQL Wizard to build SELECT, INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE
> statements with minimal typing.
>* SQL catalog to save your frequently used SQLs
>* Support for substitution variables (&, && and DEFINE etc.)
>* Rows for SELECT stmt are returned in a spreadsheet format.
> And you can even edit the data!

>* 14 different visual object editors including Procedure/Trigger
> editor with color syntax hilighting and printing.
>* "Drag and Drop" coding (You can drag and drop PL/SQL syntax,
> SQL functions, column names, any object name into your code)
>* Programmable keys (Pre-programmed with PL/SQL code!)
>* Support for "Server output".. So you can debug using DBMS_OUTPUT package
>* Check-in/Check-out for team programming support
>* Intuitive hierarchical database navigator
>* Top notch graphical "Explain Plan" utility ...

>Find out why Andersen consulting upgraded to a site license of
>SQL Navigator from another tool ... check it out for yourself.

>Download SQL Navigator from http://www.technosolutions.com
>or call 360-260-0710 to get your free trial copy.

>Jim Miles
>TechnoSolutions Corp.
>Oracle business alliance programme

>In article <53r34p$gve_at_is04.via.at>,
> dtr_at_leadingbits.via.at (Dieter Oberkofler) wrote:

>>>One of my complaints with using SQL Plus to apply stored procedures from
 text
>>>files is that blank lines are stripped out of the source as it is read. If
>>>get a compile error, the line number is meaningless compared to the source
 in
>>>my editor.
>>>Procedure Builder deletes source code occasionally if you get an error when
>>>compiling, so I'm staying away from that tool.
>>>If anyone knows how to get SQL Plus to maintain blank lines when you read a
>>>file (_at_, START, GET) I would appreciate knowing how.

>>>Thanks,
>>>Shawn
>>
>>Hi Shawn,
>>
>>Just have a look to shareware program called PLEdit (pledit.exe).
>>I found it on compuserve and it is the absolutely best PL/SQL
>>editor for oracle i ever saw. It's fast, reliable small and very
>>easy to use. I love it.
>>
>>Its written by: Mark J. Ford (103217.560_at_compuserve.com)
>>
>>You must get it!!!
>>
>>Dieter Oberkofler
>>Director of Engineering

>>LEADING BITS GmbH. Tel (+43-1) 586 76 11
>>Schleifmuehlgasse 5/17 Fax (+43-1) 587 76 15
> [...]

Was the original post for a suggestion for a SQL statement editor or an editor for Oracle PL/SQL language ?

My vote for sql statement editor is Platinum's Plan Analyzer. It let's you analyze what the sql statement is going to do physical, including giving you statistics of those currently in the SGA. Received on Tue Oct 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message