Re: Newbie sqlplus question

From: Halina Monka <toyr002_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1996/10/21

Joe Trubisz wrote:

> I'm a newbie to Oracle, so I don't know what to do here.
> I create 2-databases, ABC and XYZ. They are both local to the
> users. However, a single user has access to both of them
> (same user name). When they start a sqlplus session, how do
> they pick the database they want to use?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Joe

Environment variable ORACLE_SID controls that. You could write simple script asking user which database to connect to or you could write 2 startup scripts .
e.g sql_PROD

     # Bourne shell
     ORACLE_HOME=path here; export ORACLE_HOME # could be set in global
                                                 login ( e.g profile )
     ORACLE_SID=PROD; export ORACLE_SID
     sqlplus /
     ORACLE_SID= ; export ORACLE_SID

You should also modify glogin.sql to display the database name prompt in sqlplus.
Halina Received on Mon Oct 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message