Re: Fail to extend rollback segment ?

From: Jared Still <jared_at_psnw.com>
Date: 1996/10/18

On 17 Oct 1996, WANG SHIANG HUEY wrote:

> Hi,
> when I insert 200,000 records into a table from a query, I encounter
> the following errors.
>
> ORA-01562: failed to extend rollback segment (id = 1)
> ORA-01628: max # extents (121) reached for rollback segment RB_TEMP
>
> I have added a datafile size 20M (total is 35M)
> and increase the initial to 1M and next to 500K on ROLLBACK_DATA
> tablespace, but it didn't solve the
> problem. The number of extents is limited by db_block_size, so max
> I can have is 121. I may be thinking in a wrong direction.
> Please advise, thanks !
> --
> Shiang-Huey Wang
> Leather Center, Inc.
> sherry_at_leathercenter.com
> wshiang_at_a.cs.okstate.edu

If you really want to insert all 200,000 rows before issuing a commit, you need to make the extent size of your rollback segments larger.

The ones you are creating are limited to about 8meg.

You don't say how big the rows are that you are inserting, so I'll just assume that the 35 meg of datafile will allow a RBS large enough for your needs.

Just create your RBS with an initial of 10m and next of 5m. Or just create a tablespace for some temp RBS and drop it when you are done.

Jared Still
DBA
RxNet/ValueRx
jared_at_psnw.com Received on Fri Oct 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message