cpu-count > # of cpu's

From: NARDBA <76434.762_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 1996/10/18

Greetings

  We are using SCO Unix 3.2.4.2 MPX 3 with Oracle 7.2.2.4.   There are 5 active cpu's. Via mpstat we have found that   cpu 1 is utilized much more than the other 4. The cpu_count   parameter in Oracle defaults to one. Can we assume that   Oracle is only utilizing 1 cpu? Oracle support has stated   that there is a bug with cpu_count reporting and initialy   recommended that we force cpu_count = 5. However Oracle   SupportLink recommends that we do not force cpu_count. No   other solutions are forth coming. How can we get Oracle to   recognize all available cpus. How do we verify that Oracle   recognizes all available cpus.

  We have found 4 parameters in space.c that may improve Oracle   performance under MPX. However I must relink unix and cannot   so for until 10/25.

  If anyone has any insights about our situation I would   greatly appreciate it.

                                 Thank you for your time
                                 John Z.