Re: Oracle Spatial Options and Data Warehouse

From: John Evans <jmevans_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/10/18

In article <ddrukerDzEJxz.Bs6_at_netcom.com>, ddruker_at_netcom.com says...

>"ICare" <gmigotto_at_icare.it> writes:
>
>> With Oracle 7.3 has made their debut the Spatial Options.
>>Oracle says that the new HH encoding scheme can be useful for every data
>>which is determined by a number of independent dimensions, so pushing its
>>use for data warehouse (and in particular, multidimensional data warehouse
 )
>>data modeling.

>>Has anybody of you experience in this kind of application of the Spatial
>>Options? What are the limits of this approah? Must the subject area have
>>particular characteristics?

>>Thanks in advance

>>Giovanni Migotto
>>gmigotto_at_icare.it
>
>Hi Giovanni,
>
>I think your Oracle rep is getting his terms confused. In my
>understanding, the Oracle spatial option (formerly called Oracle
>multidimension, which is why the confusion) is used for storing
>and accessing geographic data. It is designed to store attributes
>with ranges of data like longitude/latitude, elevation, temperature, etc
>to build a geographic information system.
>
>Multidimensional data modeling in a data warehouse is more typically
>associated with On-Line Analytical Processing (OLAP) This topic
>is covered extensively in the comp.databases.olap newsgroup. The
>company I work for makes an olap server called Essbase, which is used by
>many Oracle shops.
>- Dan

Giovanni,
Oracle offers its own OLAP server called Oracle Express Server. It is an open product and is used in both Oracle shops as well as non-Oracle shops. Oracle Express Server is the OLAP Option which is part of the Oracle7.3 Universal Server. Oracle Spatial Option is also part of the Universal Server. They are targeted at addressing different business problems. You can find out more about both these products and where they fit at http://www.oracle.com

Regards,
John Evans
Oracle Corp. Received on Fri Oct 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message