Re: Newbie Oracle 7.2 Questions

From: David J Roth <droth_at_adaptron.com>
Date: 1996/10/17

Chris Gatto wrote:

> Ok, its like this...
>
> We are developing a small 30 to 50 user client server package and
> using Powerbuilder 5.0 in conjunction with Oracle 7.2.
>
> My questions are this:
>
> 1. When developing can we count on Oracle performing its own row/table
> lock functions when two or more users are attempting to access the same
> record ? Or does the developer have to programatically enforse this ?

Oracle uses row leveling locking as it default but no locking occurs until Oracle has some way of knowing that a record will change. Powerbuilder is capable of reading a table, buffering it and allowing changes on the client without informing Oracle that changes are pending. When you are ready to commit your changes you should make sure that the record has not changed since the PB buffer was filled.