Re: Pro*C and OCI

From: Thomas Bregulla <thomas.bregulla_at_x400.DeTeMobil.de>
Date: 1996/10/17

Hi,

> It isn't as black and white as this. It depends what you're doing.
> The nice thing about OCI is that you can write tight C code and not
> have to deal with the quirks of the precompiler. There may be some
> performance improvement too. There's not a really big learning curve
> if you know relational databases, dynamic sql etc.

...but you loose your portability by using OCI.

You can transform your datamodel to another platform/DB vendor and still use embedded SQL.
You cannot do this with the proprietary OCI. ...so I guess Oracle tries to
bind people tight to its products with this strategy.

--Thomas Bregulla

Disclaimer:
The opionions shown here are mine, and not necessarily the opinions of the company I am working for.