Re: Database creation maxdata file question

From: Brian P. Mac Lean <brian.maclean_at_teldta.com>
Date: 1996/10/17

Jereme R. Chapman wrote:

> Database creation maxdatafile issue: ==================================
>
> Fore Oracle Version 7, we can create databases with a large "maxdatafiles
> parameter"-- I have used Maxdatafiles = 2000.
>
> Question: What is the maximum number allowed, if there is a maxiumum:
>
> What is the impact of using a very large number, such as, 10000 ? I can
> only think of only one issue, the control file size would be large,
> because the controlfile tries to reserve space for all files.
>
> Are there any more issues that might be important ?
>
> If anyone has done any experiment/research on this, please share any
> information/suggestion. Thanks <Ujjwal>

The Oracle7 Server Reference Release 7.2, Page 5-3 has a database limits table. It shows 1022 as the maximum (OS dependent). When I have done create database statments maxing out all allowed parameters, I received error messages from Oracle that in effect said that the resulting control file was to large. So I had to scale back the values some. The last time I tried maxing things was Oracle V7.1.3 on Solaris 2.3, maybe things have changed in newer releases.

--
                       \\|//
                       (0-0)