Re: I need opinion

From: Dave Mausner <dmausner_at_brauntech.com>
Date: 1996/10/16

In article <542vi9$rfi_at_frazier.backbone.ou.edu>, ryanr_at_ou.edu (Ryan) wrote:
>I would really appreciate the opinion on how it REALLY is in the
>market today.
>
>1) Can you really make the $50,000+ salaries that everyone advertises,
>and I hear about?

talented experienced people can make such salries.

>2) If you become a developer in a 'hot' language such as Oracle,
>Sybase, SAP, C++ etc. is it true that you would have to relocate every
>few years?

no, this is up to you. if you live in Podunk, you may have to settle where the work is, but after that you are not compelled to relocate.

>3) I have also heard that immigration and offshore programming
>services is going to greatly impact the U.S. salaries of the IS
>professionals.

offshore programming has not turned out to be a big factor, due to quality-control problems. the supply of talent is lower overseas, but there is no urgency to use their services, so wages here remain high.

>4) What are your thoughts as to where the industry will be in 5 years?

the names and technologies will change, but the info-demand will not diminish. inter-intra-net fascination will feed the demand for database pro's. the year-2000 dilemma will fuel more demand.

Dave Mausner, Managing Consultant, Braun Technology Group, Chicago. Received on Wed Oct 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message