Re: Good DBA Tools ???

From: Doug Smith <dsmith_at_gulfaero.com>
Date: 1996/10/16

In article <325FFA72.4AF8_at_pi.net> John Wansink <jwansink_at_pi.net> writes:
>From: John Wansink <jwansink_at_pi.net>
>Subject: Re: Good DBA Tools ???
>Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 22:07:14 +0200

>KELLEY SCOTT A wrote:
>>
>> In article <325C1A0F.4917_at_ocdis01.tinker.af.mil>, "M.C. Rush" <mrush@ocdis01.tinker.af.mil> writes:
>> >Can anyone recommend some good tools for a DBA to use to administer
>> >several databases on different machines.
>> >
>> >The OSs I am concerned with are HPUX 10, Solaris 2.5 and possibly
>> >SCO ODT 3.
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance.
>>
>> I would strongly suggest you look at Oracle Enterprise Manager. This is a very impressive tool.
>> It comes FREE with Oracle 7.3, but you need a Win95 or NT machine to run it on.
>> I saw a demo of it and think that any site could make a lot of use of this tool. And while I work
>> for Oracle I'm consultant, not a sales guy. Besides its free.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott Kelley, Oracle Corp. (skelley_at_hsc.hac.com) "Oh! My eye!"

>Check out PATROL from BMC SOftware. It can monitor and manage systems
>and applications in a heterogeneous environment. BMC is a Business
>Allience Partner (BAP) of Oracle. Their home page is

> www.bmc.com

>so you can check that out.

>Over here in Holland FAST LANE is their distributor and their customers
>have stunning results on implementing PATROL.

We have chosen Platinum's EPM for OS monitoring (unix & NT) and Oracle monitoring.

We also chose Platinum's; Enterprise DBA for changes, TSREORG for Oracle reorgs, Fast Unload to work with TSREORG, Plan Analyzer which helps you code efficient SQL statements and analyzes those already run and shows various performance info. for each.

For coding pl/sql including triggers, we use Oracle's Procedure Builder.   Received on Wed Oct 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message