Re: Connecting to Oracle on NT via JDBC

From: Jamie Sharples <jps_at_ihug.co.nz>
Date: 1996/10/15

Jamie Sharples wrote:

> Chris Ash wrote:
> >
> > Having just installed Oracle Workgroup server on out NT,
> > I am now looking to develop a java front end to a simple database
> > for internal use in our company. There doesn't seem to be a great
> > deal of documentation on the JDBC at the moment.....anyone know
> > of any useful resources that I can pilfer ?
> >
> > Partiuclarly in the area of JDBC/ODBC connectivity......
> >
> > My knowledge of this area is shakey to say the least. Do I need to
> > obtain specific drivers or the ODBC/JDbc bridge to get this to work
> > properly ? In fact while I am at it........what is the JDBC/ODBC
> > bridge ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance....Chris.
> If you have a look in the sample .java files that come in the JDBC-ODBC
> bridge package from JavaSoft, there is a sample file called
> simpleselect.java which contains the basic code required to connect to a
> database via ODBC. The only requirements is that the client PC know how
> to get to the NT box (via hosts file or such like). Then the ODBC
> driver software on the client PC needs to be configured to have a Data
> Source Name (DSN) for the Oracle server on the NT Box.

<snip>

By the way I'm also waiting for some decent documentation or books on the JDBC area (waiting for the publishers to catch up with the development). There is a book in the pipeline that I'm very interested in seeing called
"Java Database Programming with Jdbc"

  Jamie. Received on Tue Oct 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message