Re: Size of Extents

From: Tracie Thomas <tracie_at_aosi.com>
Date: 1996/10/15

Srinivasa Rao Vaikuntam wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to figure out a way to estimate the size of the initial
> extent and next extent for a given table. On what factors does this
> depend? Does oracle allocate extents in any fixed block sizes? I have
> seen some code, where it is specified for most of the tables, the
> initial extent is 56k (in some cases 126 k), and the next extent being
> 56k.
>
> Is this documented anywhere?
>
> We are running Oracle 7.2 on a HP-UX 10.0.
>
> thanks in advance
> srini

There is a fairly extensive discussion on how to set storage parameters for
tables/indexes in the Oracle Administrators Guide. You'll also find the calculations you'll need. I've set up a spreadsheet with these calculations
to make sizing a lot quicker! If anybody has any scripts to do this, I'l love to hear about it!

Tracie