ORA-06136 error in Oracle7.1

From: Paulo J. H. Afonso <pha_at_inesc.pt>
Date: 1996/10/15

Hello.

I'm having the following problem using Oracle7.1:

When I try to startup a local database using Oracle Database Manager, I get the error "ORA-06136: NETTCP error during connection handshake". However, if I try to startup a remote database, I am successfull.

Next I try to startup the local database in SQLDBA. After connecting as internal I do Startup Instance, without specifying a parameter file, and the result is: "Cannot open parameter file
<ORACLE_HOME>\RDBMS71\INIT<instance_name>.ora"

Then I do Startup Instance again and specify the parameter file, which is located in a different directory than the mentioned in the previous error message. This operation successfully starts my database instance.

Why can't I startup the local database in Oracle Database Manager, since I can startup the remote one? What can I do to solve this problem? Also, what must be done in order to configure Oracle so that in SQLDBA the Startup Instance operation can find the parameter file?

The software I'm using is the following:

--Windows NT 3.5

--NT Software:
Oracle7 Server 7.1.3.3.6
Oracle7 Utilities 7.1.3.3.6
Required Support Files 7.1.3.3.6
SQL*Net Named Pipes Server 1.1.1.8
SQL*Net TCP/IP Server 1.1.6.8

--Windows Software:
Database Administation Tools 7.1.4.1.0

GUI Common Files 2.1.4.9.1A
Oracle Objects for OLE 1.0.42.0.0
Oracle7 ODBC Driver 1.11.0.2
Required Support Files 7.1.4.0.4A
Required Support Files 7.0.16.4.4F
SQL*Net Named Pipes 1.1.8.1

SQL*Net TCP/IP 1.1.9.0A
SQL*Plus 3.1.3.5.4A

Thanks for your help,
Paulo.

| Paulo J. H. Afonso | |
| | |
| INESC | Telefone: + 351 1 3100053 |
| Centro Multimedia - GIS | Fax: + 351 1 3100009 |
| Av. Duque d'Avila, 23, 5ยบ Esq. | mailto:pha_at_inesc.pt |
| 1000 Lisboa - Portugal | |