Re: Raw Devices

From: Paul Rech <paul.rech_at_medtronic.com>
Date: 1996/10/11

Eduardo René Rodríguez vila wrote:

> Alexander Lyakhovetsky wrote:
> >
> > We are thinking about moving our database to raw devices. What are pros
> > and cons of this especially in regard to recovery issues? Comments,
> > white papers, ideas? Our environment: AIX 4.1.4 Oracle Financials 22GIG.
>
> We considered this option at our installation sometimes. The main
> goal was a better performance. Unfortunately, we found that maintain
> our database in a environment with changes could be a problem if your
> DBA has not a solid backuground in UNIX and Oracle.
>
> Saludos...
> Best regards..
>
> Eduardo Rene Rodriguez Avila
> _/ _/
> E-Mail: e.r.rodriguez_at_ieee.org _/ _/
> eravila_at_spin.com.mx _____/
>
> WWW : http://spin.com.mx/~eravila

I don't know why Oracle always warns people about using raw devices. I was in a shop for about a year that used them on their main production instance, with no problems at all.

There a few small things to be concerned with but nothing major.

I have a small document I made up with pros and cons for my present employer. If anyone is interested, e-mail me and I will send it to you. Or if you just have questions, e-mail.

Paul Rech
Oracle DBA Received on Fri Oct 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message