Re: Hidden cost in Oracle db for the web ?

From: Mark McNulty <mmcnul_at_wall.ny.jpmorgan.com>
Date: 1996/10/11

In article <325EA284.77F2_at_tier3.com>, Todd Verstraten <tverstrat_at_tier3.com> wrote:
>U-Gene wrote:
>>
>> Good Day, :-)
>>
>> I am in the midst of evaluating the oracle database for internet
>> applications. Can anyone who has the experience in implementing an Oracle
>> database in the similar concept share their experience? (whether good or
>> bad) I am also particularly interested in any hidden cost (eg database
>> tuning, maintenance) if there are, in using the Oracle database.
>>
>> Thank you in advance for any feedback.

 [snip]

>other than that, you should already be aware of most necessary details
>and costs.

Was the original question about $$$, or about cost in terms of performance, etc? If it is about $$$, be aware that the database vendors are still argueing about what is and isn't a connection, and they are likely to be modifying the licensing schemes in the next few years until things settle down. The definition of a "user" is different than that of a connection, and how do you define each becomes very tough when you're talking about n-tier applications or the Web. If I have 100 users connecting to 8 Web processes that call 30 services that have 50 database connections, how should Oracle charge me? Oracle is pushing the idea of a Universal Server, which will also complicate things.

If the original "hidden costs" are about performance, hidden costs might include extra database processes, extra connections, extra data (HTML), etc, as well as support, as mentioned in the first response.

Good luck,
Mark McNulty
JYACC Consultant
mmcnul_at_jyacc.com

Note- these views are mine and not those of JP Morgan or JYACC. Received on Fri Oct 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message