Re: Hidden cost in Oracle db for the web ?

From: Todd Verstraten <tverstrat_at_tier3.com>
Date: 1996/10/11

U-Gene wrote:

> Good Day, :-)
>
> I am in the midst of evaluating the oracle database for internet
> applications. Can anyone who has the experience in implementing an Oracle
> database in the similar concept share their experience? (whether good or
> bad) I am also particularly interested in any hidden cost (eg database
> tuning, maintenance) if there are, in using the Oracle database.
>
> Thank you in advance for any feedback.

If you are talking in general terms and are new to oracle there are few basic things you do need to know about.

tuning and administration is ongoing. it nevers stops no matter how stable you application or users. having someone experienced pays very big dividends in the effectiveness of the database and the equipment running it. those people are hard to find and can cost a lot$$$

also, oracle upgrades all of their products very frequently. although you are not forced to, you generally need to keep up with these upgrades regularily which means it is most cost effective to buy their ongoing support and you will regularily have to spend time installing & reloading and reading and dealing with new bugs and features, etc....

If you are a small organization and having a part time dba is not practical or affordable you might want to look elsewhere.

other than that, you should already be aware of most necessary details and costs.

Todd Verstraten
mailto:tverstrat_at_tier3.com
http://www.tier3.com Received on Fri Oct 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message