Re: Sharing Data Across Platforms?

From: Joel Klebanoff <joel_klebanoff_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1996/10/11

Les Gainous wrote:

> Using Oracle 7.1 (on a DEC Alpha--Unix) and MS SQL Server 6.0 (on an
> Intel box--Windows NT), what's the best way to "share" data? They are
> both on the same network LAN.
>
> How can I move data from one machine to another? Do I bulk-copy to
> ascii, then bulk-copy back in to the destination server? Is there a
> "cleaner" way to do this?
>
> My final question is probably a loaded question but...is there such a
> thing as cross-platform joins in queries on these database servers?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> --
> Les Gainous, lesgainous_at_earthlink.net
>
> Visit my web page at
> http://home.earthlink.net/~lesgainous
>
> Looking for a Client-Server job in California?
> http://home.earthlink.net/~lesgainous/jobs.html

Praxis has a couple of products that might help. Their OmniReplicator does change capture replication from Oracle to MS SQL Server and they've announced support for the other direction, but I'm not sure of the delivery date for support for that direction.

Praxis' OmniCopy provides networked, automated snapshot copies of databases (it can select portions of the database for copying). Platform support is the same as for OmniReplicator.

Their web site is http://www.praxisint.com

--
Joel Klebanoff
Klebanoff Associates, Inc.