Is MS-SQL6.5 in the same league as Oracle, Sybase?

From: Gordon E. Hooker <gordonh_at_thehub.com.au>
Date: 1996/10/10

roussel_at_physics.mcgill.ca (Harold Roussel) wrote:

>The title says it all. I need to find a good SQL database system for
>handling up to 50 million records (database size of a few gigs) and I
>was wondering if I should limit my choice to Oracle or Sybase. What
>about advanced features like data encryption, mirroring, etc? Is
>MS-SQL up to the task? Thanks for any information.

Not from the press I have seen in relation to MS-SQLServer, although Microsoft say they have an enterprise solution that is far from the truth without going into too much detail here are a number of features that are part of Oracle that are not in MS-SQLServer:

  • Symmetric replication
  • Full row-level locking
  • Full parallel capabilities -Bit-mapped indexing
  • Star query optimisation
  • Object repository
  • distributed optimiser (&distributed joins)
  • User-defined functions
  • Support for loosely-coupled systems
  • Support for MPP systems
  • Support for 64-bit memory systems