Re: Commit without freeing locks

From: Thomas Keul <tk_at_ivu-berlin.de>
Date: 1996/10/10

Dieter Oberkofler (dtr_at_leadingbits.via.at) wrote:
: Thank you for your help!

: After a look to my oracle manual i found another possible way of
: solving my problem.

: Oracle supplies a DBMSLOCK pakage that contains a few functions
: and procedures able to create a lock structure in the oracle
: server.
 [...]
: Any comments and ideas to this approach?

we use this package and had a big problem dealing with a lot of locks (with 2 sessions a 400 Locks oracle 7.2 crashes without warning)

Oracle support gave us a secret init.ora parameter: _enqueue_locks

our init.ora contains now:

dml_locks           = 3000
enqueue_resources   = 4000
_enqueue_locks      = 4000

.. and Oracle now crashes when we constantly try to get more than 4000 Locks (all sessions together).

Thomas Keul, IVU GmbH                               tk_at_ivu-berlin.de
Bundesallee 88                                  tel +49 30 85906 451
12161 Berlin, Germany                           fax +49 30 85906 444