Re: DB_LINK QUESTION

From: Michael McAllister <Michael_McAllister_at_Biscuits.Com>
Date: 1996/10/10

You're right - the SQL*NET connection between the two instances does stay active until a predefined timeout period expires, or your session on A is ended.

To speed up the initial connection:-

  1. If the protocol you are using is TCP/IP, then specify the hosts in the LISTENER.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA using physical IP addresses, rather than aliases. This will speed up the initial connection radically.
  2. Investigate the use of prespawned pools of SQL*NET connections. I can't remember if this is the correct terminology for it, but I believe (under SQL*NET v2) you can specify in the LISTENER.ORA:-
    • the minimum number of spawned processes to create
    • the minimum number of FREE spawned processes to have (this handles the case where all the initial prespawned processes are used....makes sure there are still other spawned processes created, but cleans these ones up when finished)

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Michael McAllister
The Smith's Snackfood Company Ltd
Sydney, Australia

P.S. You may want to be careful using these prespawned processes. I know that under an early version of v7.1 of the database on WinNT this was causing an OS level crash of our database. pngo_at_acs6.acs.ucalgary.ca (Phuong Ngo) wrote: