Re: PL/SQL How to display messages

From: Michael Ho <infoage_at_hk.super.net>
Date: 1996/10/10

Beverley Williams wrote:

> > Can anyone help me with what I thought would be straight forward
> > problem but has gotten the better of me.

> > Is there any way to print to the screen IMMEDIATELY within PL/SQL ?.
> > For example to give a message showing the progress of a long update.
> >
> begin
> .....<update>
> clear_message;
> message('BLAH BLAH',acknowledge);
> synchronize;
> ........<rest of stuff>
>
> synchronize synchronizes the screen with the internal state of the form.

If you do it in Oracle Form, you can do :   message('abc',acknowledge);
  synchronizee;

But if you are in SQL*Plus, Do this
1. Set serveroutput on
2. execute DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('abcd');

ie. The dbms_output is a system package which you can use in any pl/sql block.

Regards,
Michael Received on Thu Oct 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message