Need help for NT client

From: Tom Gordon <oomph_at_concentric.com>
Date: 1996/10/09

I'd be grateful for any light on my problems.

OK. I have a Smalltalk application that uses Oracle. Works fine on Unix, Mac,
Windows 3.1 and 95. I am now trying to get the Windows NT Oracle client to work.

I called Oracle and ordered SQL Net for NT, for TCP/IP. First of all, the box
that Oracle sent was labeled TCP/IP Adapter; nothing about SQL Net.

I started the installation program on NT and was relieved to find that indeed,
it contained not only the TCP/IP adapter but also SQL Net 1 and 2.

I installed the client and adapter. My Smalltalk program could not load the
oracle libraries. So, I want to test the oracle client by itself to see if that
part is working. Well, the CD contains no NETTEST program, which I have seen on
other platforms, not to mention maybe sqlplus. The only executables I have are
the installation program and the pro-c compiler (I also installed that just for fun).

My question is: does Oracle make a nettest program for NT?

Read on if you are interested in why I am disappointed with Oracle.

I have a vague feeling that I am missing the complete SQL Net product. First,
the box makes no mention at all that it contains SQL Net, only the TCP/IP
adapter. That includes my invoice. Second, I am missing any way to test
whether the client that I supposedly installed actually works or not. What happened to nettest?

I am aware of the Oracle home page and ftp server. For three nights now, I have
tried to connect to them. I cannot get through. That is one reason I am posting
this article.

The most disappointing thing was Oracle support. I called them, and, after waiting
for the obligatory twenty minutes, they asked for my something-or-rather number.
Then, when I gave it to them, right off my invoice, they said that it was
invalid. They transfered me to someone else so they could verify the purchase.
After waiting for another ten minutes, I got a recording that instructed me
to leave my name and number; they would call me back. I did so, and that
was three days ago, and they have not called me back.

Thanks for any info. It really should not be so hard to determine whether
something I bought works or not, should it?

Tom Gordon
oomph_at_concentric.net Received on Wed Oct 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message