Re: Oracle 6 to 7 conversion

From: Alan MCCulloch <amccullo_at_ccu1.auckland.ac.nz>
Date: 1996/10/09

martyn1_at_ibm.net writes:

>Kelly E. Harrelson wrote:
>>
>> Kirk Righter wrote:
>> >
>> > Heeeyyy,
>> >
>> > Can anybody out there point me in the right direction concerning
>> > upgrading from Oracle 6 to 7? Any docs, articles, websites, etc.?
>> >
>> > Thanx,
>> > Kirk (the newbie) Righter
>>
>> With each release of Oracle, they provide documentation about upgrading
>> from previous versions. I have seen, specifically, the book you need. If
>> you didn't receive the doc., call Oracle. But, I would start there.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Kelly

>Hi,

>Well the major differences will be basically in memory usage - you'll need
>more with Oracle7 (but then you get lots of additional stuff), data typing
>and executable program size - you'll want to recompile any Pro*C/Pro*Cobol
>stuff - if you have any. On the data typing side, Oracle 6 represents the
>CHAR datatype as an internal code which (can't remember which number -
>but it doesn't really matter) in Oracle7 equates to the datatype
>VARCHAR2 - so if trailing blanks are really important to you then
>this is one to watch out for. But yes, get hold of the Conversion manual
>published by Oracle Corp. Oracle7, although needing more memory also
>makes better use of it.

>Cheers,

>Martyn Jones
>Iniciativa para Data Warehouse

The change in behaviour of CHAR is very important. Exporting/Importing the data automatically converts CHAR->VARCHAR2, but you also need to exterminate CHAR from things like PL/SQL blocks, and temporary tables that your apps may create on-the-fly. If you leave CHAR in there apps will run fine but may give totally incorrect results.

Just done v6->v7, just got bitten by CHAR, so am a bit of a zealot.

Good Luck

Alan McCulloch Received on Wed Oct 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message