Re: Deletes in Oracle 7

From: Chetan S. Bhargiri <chetan_at_voicenet.com>
Date: 1996/10/09

In article <3259A55A.55AA_at_dt.com.hk>, komix Hui <huikomix_at_dt.com.hk> wrote:
>Gary Mazzone wrote:
>>
>> Help
>>
>> I am trying to delete about 65000 records from a database running on
>> SCO UNix Oracle 7.1. The deletes will go but I have to keep the number
>> of records below 20,000 and 14,000 records take about 2:30 hrs.

I had a similar problem and ran out of Rollback space. I created a huge rollback segment about 2GB large since I was deleting some 2million records. Now I use the large rollback segment whenever I do large transactions and disable them for small operations.

Do this:
alter rollback segment large_rs online;
/* Big transaction */
Delete or Update table ...

alter rollback segment large_rs offline;

You must create large_rs (a new rollback segment) before you do this.

Hope this helps

-chetan Received on Wed Oct 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message