Re: NLS French and Unix localizations

From: Sergiusz Wolicki <swolicki_at_pl.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/10/09

Shawn Belaire wrote:

> The LANG value on the netra is set to 'fr' the alpha uses some
> LC_iso variable. Note french characters are ok in flat files, also
> the NLS_LANG is not set on the alpha and I've tried various combinations
> on the netra.

Oracle NLS is independent from Unix NLS. Make only sure that your terminal can show French characters. Make also sure that stty -a shows "cs8 -istrip".

(I assume you use Oracle7)

Define your databases with WE8ISO8859P1 character set (preferable), WE8DEC or other c.s. supporting French. You specify c.s. in CREATE DATABASE
statement. You can verify database character set with SELECT * FROM NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS; If you view your data, set NLS_LANG to the character set of your terminal
(or terminal emulation), e.g.

     setenv NLS_LANG AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 or

     setenv NLS_LANG FRENCH_FRANCE.WE8ISO8859P1

If you load files with SQL*Loader, use CHARACTERSET clause in control file
to specify the c.s. of your flat files. If flat files are in the same character set as defined in NLS_LANG, you can omit CHARACTERSET clause.

If you load files with Pro*C, set NLS_LANG to the c.s. of the loaded files.

You must always (!!!) have NLS_LANG defined in your environment. Otherwise
US7ASCII is used as default, causing national characters to be converted to '?' or messed up. This concerns import, export, SQL*Loader, SQL*Plus, Pro*C, OCI, Developer/2000, etc.

> Both computers are http servers using WOW, should the NLS_LANG be
> set to latin1 or some other value of ntscape?

What method do you use to access Oracle database and transfer data to Web?

Sergiusz Wolicki
Oracle Poland

Opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily that of
Oracle Corporation. Received on Wed Oct 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message