Re: Deployment approaches

From: Ian Gillman <igillman_at_ins.btg.com>
Date: 1996/10/08

In article <32599434.698F_at_qualcomm.com>, ppatron_at_qualcomm.com says...

>What is the best way to deploy Forms 4.5 applications with hundreds of
>forms to about 150 users in a multi-platform environment?
>
>The only approach seems to be to put forms on file server and serve the
>forms from there everytime the user loads the application. This requires
>multiple servers a lot of network traffic on a large application.
>
>Another approach would be to keep the forms on the client and use a
>replication mechanism to keep the forms in synchronized. I could do this
>in Forms 4.5, but I cannot figure out a method to get a binary from the
>server to the local computer.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Pete
Why not, on boot up, mount (or map) the network disk as a local disk and copy the binaries from the network disk to the local one then unmount (unmap) the network disk. That way every time the machine boots it will obtain the latest versions of the binaries on the network.

To go one stage further you could check the dates of the binaries on the network and on the local disk and only copy over those ones where the date has changed.

TTFN
Ian
igillman_at_ins.btg.com Received on Tue Oct 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message