Re: Max Concurrent users on Solaris

From: Roby Sherman <roby_at_h2net.net>
Date: 1996/10/08

In article <5336bo$nip_at_newssvr.cacd.rockwell.com>, Kent Van Meter wrote:
>We are anticipating several hundred concurrent users against a sparc1000
>Solaris server running 7.1, from various front ends (powerbuilder, jam,
>access, etc.) using sql*net v.1 and v.2, and odbc. Memory is 128m, the
>SGA is around 12m right now. The databases are not large, avg. 100m, but
>will get a lot of use, updating and querying. Is anyone aware of possible
>pitfalls, or will the Oracle handle the concurrent usage?
>
>TIA
>
>Kent V.

No real pitfalls within Oracle itself, but understand that as demand for your application grows you may have a problem with Solaris itself. Solaris 2.X has a socket connection limit of somewhere within the 1200-1400 range. As long as you stay under this limit, you should be fine.

We run a similar server setup to you, and found out about this limit the hard way. :)

Cheers!

--Roby

--
|         "The journey of 1000 miles begins with a cash advance..."        |