Re: Archiving Financials Data

From: smp <no email>
Date: 1996/10/08

We took a cold backup BEFORE purging and copied it over to another server, which
was to be the permanent archive machine. We copied aver everything from oracle_home and all the applmgr stuff too.(saved all the hassle of re-installing oracle!)
When the database was brought up, we
changed everyone's access to view only ie gave them the view only responsibilites we'd set up.
This meant that they couldn't update the archive database by accident. It's now been running
happily for the best part of a year. Backups are done once a week just for safety's sake.
The purge of GL was then done on the production database and the users have access to both
servers. Is this what you were thinking of?

>==========Systems Admin, 03/10/96==========
>
>Does anyone have a solution to the problem of archiving Financials data?
>
>We have to keep 7 years of data for legal purposes, and the users say
>they need 'quick' access to it so it may not be possible to put it to
>tape.
>
>If we created an archive database and used snapshots, would we need to
>have another Financials application on that database or could we just
>connect into it with a database link?
>
>The idea is to reduce the burden on the Financials database by getting
>rid of historical data, but keeping it available in case it is needed
>later.
>Surely someone else has had to do this?
>
>Help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Andy Horne

Sally Pearce
Financials DBA(for my sins) Received on Tue Oct 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message