Re: Size of an ORACLE Database over 100 Gb

From: Bruce Pihlamae <bpihlama_at_nla.gov.au>
Date: 1996/10/08

> Alain BORGO <Alain.Borgo_at_ratp.fr> wrote:
>
> >We have a new application that use ORACLE 7. The total size of the database is about 250 Gb.
> >We certainly put all the files on 60 disks of 4 Gb each (perhaps we will use the RAID 5 technology).

> >The problem is to manage this very big database : particulary we fear for the administration of the data.
> >Another diffuclty is the time to save these 250 Gb.

> >We're wondering if someone had already manage such a big database or a so big volume of data.

> >Anyone with some experience with that sort of problem will be welcome.

> >Alain BORGO.

You will need to use Oracle's ONLINE (or HOT) backup capability with Archived REDO Logs.

If you don't have enough tape drives to backup the whole database when required then use
HOT backups of 1/7th of your database each night for 7 nights (or 1/14th over 14 nights
or whatever). Make sure that critical tablespaces (eg SYSTEM) are backed up each night.

Make sure your REDO Logs, CONTROL files, and Rollback Segments are mirrored.

Don't put high insert or update or delete activity tablespaces on RAID5 use RAID0+1.

Consider getting an automated tape mounter; ie some sort of silo (tape or optical disk)
and a decent tape management software package. Look at some of the backup tools specifically
targetted at Oracle databases.

--
   T T T T T T T T        Bruce Pihlamae