Re: Why no patches available from Oracle's ftp/www server ?

From: Richard Lloyd <rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/10/07

We have a support contract and yet weren't initially given a username/password. It really should be automatic for UK customers with a support contract ! I had *no idea* www.oracle.co.uk existed until I got a fax through from the UK Response Centre with details about it in a box at the bottom of the fax cover page. I had no literature about www.oracle.co.uk sent to me prior to this.

>This service has been available for years. It used to be called OCIS
>(Oracle Online Information Service) and used a dialup forms interface.
>It was extremely tedious to use.

The telnet/dialup interface looks like a pig, but the WWW interface isn't too bad, although it does frustrate you when you see bug reports about the same things continually cropping up (a year or more apart in some cases) and no fix [or an "internal" fix that hasn't made it into any of the production releases].

Oh, I believe that Oracle patches will be available in about a month or so's time on www.oracle.co.uk !

Richard K. Lloyd,           E-mail: rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk
Connect,                       WWW: http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/users/rkl/
5-31, Great Newton St,
Liverpool University,
Merseyside, UK. L69 3BX Received on Mon Oct 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message