Re: Oracle date/time vs ingres date/time??

From: Joe Nardone <nardone_at_patriot.net>
Date: 1996/10/05

Larry Baker (Larry_Baker_at_sdt.com) wrote:
: Jim Smith wrote:
: > Oracle is very good on date arithmetic, but less good on times. All
: > datetime manipulation is done on dates, with times as fractions of a
: > day.
:
: Is there anyone out there that's run into a problem with ORACLE
: Date/Time arithmetic due to the fact that a Date incorporates
: a time component? It would seem to me that there are times (excuse
: the pun) when you want to handle date+time as a single value,
: and others when all you want is date, and others when all you
: want is time... presumably ORACLE supports separating the two
: values in SQL, but I'd like to know what people's real stories
: are...

Using TRUNC(datefield) to strip out the date part of a datetime, we have not had any problems manipulating the "parts" of date/time fields...

Joe

--

Joe Nardone <nardone_at_patriot.net>