Re: Oracle Replication Server Administration

From: Michael Ho <infoage_at_hk.super.net>
Date: 1996/10/04

TWHogan wrote:

> I would like to hear about anybody's experience with Oracle Replication
> Server.
>
> How much administration time is involved? Does is perform as advertised?
> Have you had any replication failures which could not be resolved?
>
> Tom Hogan
> TWHogan_at_aol.com

I have involved in a project with Oracle Symmetric Replication option.

The following are MY comment :

  1. Functionality quite good.
  2. Installation may need some experienced replication person.
  3. Special training needed for the DBA.
  4. Product not too mature, ie. bugs are trivial.
  5. Very Difficult to find experienced person. (Even in the Oracle)
  6. Quite a lot of conflict resolution routine need to be set and programmed.
  7. Some restriction need to be awared by the database designer.
  8. Greatly decrease the database performance.
  9. Greatly increase the network traffic. (esp. in WAN)
  10. Maintaining not too easy. ie. extra work needed.

As conclusion, it is a good product which can perform good functionality. However, it
greatly increase the workload, risk and uncertainty of the projects.

Be awared !!!

Best regards,
Michael Received on Fri Oct 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message