Re: Help needed on oracle error

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/10/03

In article <52trtg$122_at_thor.atcon.com> binghai_at_webworks.ca writes:
>"Erwin Joosten" <e.joosten_at_chw.nl> wrote:
>

>>Can someone help me with the next error message:

>> ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
>> ORA-07320: smsget: shmat error when trying to attach sga
>> AT&T System V/386 Error: 13: Permission denied.

>>I'm running oracle 7.0.16 on a SCO UNIX 3.2 server. It occures when i login
>>to oracle with just a unix account. when i login as oracle i have no
>>problems, which rights must i set to correct this problem.
>
>From my understanding, your oracle manage users separated from UNIX
>system. So you have to create a user on the ORACLE first, then you can
>use that account to login to ORACLE. --- I hope I understood your
>problem right.

To me, it sounds like he needs to change the ownership on the shared memory region to world or group writeable, or perhaps change the privilege on the oracle executable. Did he run root.sh as root?

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>