Problems with Index in Oracle 7.2

From: Albert W. Dorrington <awdorrin_at_ictest.delcoelect.com>
Date: 1996/10/03

Hi All,

        I had an index fail to allocate an additional extent in a tablespace (ran out of room.)

        I thought if I deleted information out of the table which the index is on, that I would free space up in the index, however this does not seem to be the case.

Here are the details:

Table_A has an index called Index_A

Table_A reached approximately 45 million rows and then Index_A failed to allocate the next extent.

I deleted approximately 15 million of those rows from Table_A (5 weeks worth of data) and then attempted to insert an additional week worth of data (around 3 million rows.) After two days worth of rows, the insertions died with an error saying 'failed to allocate additional extent' in the index. The volume of the data has not increased at all - so this isn't making any sense to me.

It seems as if I am not recovering the space in my index. Does anyone have any suggestions (other than dropping the index and recreating?)

Email would be prefered for responses.

Thanks in advance!

  • Al
--
Al Dorrington
awdorrin_at_ictest.delcoelect.com                     Database Admin