Re: Please Help! I have 2 Oracle Homes

From: Lluis Martinez <wlmartin_at_correu.gencat.es>
Date: 1996/10/03

John Duska wrote:

> Installing Oracle 7 is incredibly frustrating. I have a Netware 4.1
> server, and dos and windows clients. When running the various installs
> from the cdroms, Oracle has created 2 directories for itself: ORANW and
> ORAWIN. Is this right? Which one should my ORACLE.INI point to? Most
> products such as Developer, Designer, and lots of smaller apps have
> installed themselves in ORAWIN, but some are in ORANW. Most products
> aren't working right. Should I reinstall everything to the ORAWIN
> directory?
> thanks,
> John
> John M. Duska | Senior Systems Analyst
> mailto:duska_at_srfs.pitt.edu | Information Resources
> http://www.pitt.edu/~pauj4m | University of Pittsburgh

Hi John,

First, the ORANW directory must be in the application server (it contains the NLMs and the database files), but the clients don't need to see it, I mean you don't need a map there.

The ORAWIN directory must be in the clients, and ORACLE.INI in the Windows directory. If you try to share the ORAWIN\BIN executables and DLLs among your clients, you'll have problems, because many of the EXEs create temp files and if they can't do this usually bring up GPFs.

HTH,
Lluis Received on Thu Oct 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message